- Add the material ‘Masonry’ to the material library. Properties .
E = 6170 N/mm²
υ = 0,15
G = 2683 N/mm²
Therm. dil. coefficient = 0,000 008 *°C
ρ= 1600 to 1700 kg/m³
(source: D. Vandepitte, Berekening van constructies, ISBN: 9789064391538)
- Assign this material to the relevant walls.
- Select the relevant walls
- Hit .
- Find the material ‘Masonry’ in the list’.
- Assign the behaviour of masonry to the relevant walls Select the relevant walls
- Hit .
- Choose ‘no moment transfer along all edges’ and ‘no arch effect’. This icon will light up.
Optionally, you could also check ‘at top border: no tension’ or/ and ‘no inplane moment’, but keep in mind that both of these options might casue the model to become unstable because too many degrees of freedom.
The method above allows you to do an elastic analysis taking the real rigidity of the masonry walls into account. It does not allow a verification of the masonry walls according to Eurocode 6.