What is punching
Punching is the failure of a plate submitted to a concentrated load. The element causing the load is punched through the plate. The failure surface is conical: punching cone.
How to calculate the punching shear reinforcement
In case of a footing
- The punching shear reinforcement is automaticaly calculated in the general reinforcement design .
In all other cases
- Calculate the reinforcement or F2.
- Go to the reinforcement results and activate the button for the punching reinforcement .
- First select the point, then select all surrounding plates.
If you select the surrounding plates first, it becomes hard to see if the point is selected or not.
- Click once with the right mouse button. The dialog below opens. Here you:
- Click OK to start the calculations.
- The result is a reinforcement amount in mm² per m² plate surface. The amount can be destributed over a circular or an rectangular pattern. Ask a detailed view to hoover over the results and see the distances to were the punching shear reinforcement should be placed.
- Be cautious when the columns/ point loads causing punching are close to each other. Diamonds will not take any overlap of the punching cones into account.
- When you modify a value and you’re satisfied with the punching reinforcement, don’t forget to actually implement that change in the model.