Gateway and Gateway Server are two services developped by Buildsoft providing the communication between the software (Diamonds, PowerConnect and BIM Expert) and the section/ material/ bolts/ washers/ anchors library.
This is de complete structure:
- The section and material library of Diamonds/PowerConnect/BIM Expert is a database1.
- Gateway is a service providing the communication between Diamonds/ PowerConnect/ BIM Expert and the database of the section/material library.
- The database does not necessarily has to be located locally on your computer. It can be stored on any computer in your network. The service ’Gateway Server’ makes it possible to access the database over network.
- The Gateway Configuration Tool allows you to configure the settings of the database and services.
1. From Diamonds 2017 until Diamonds 2019r02 this was an SQL instance. Since Diamonds 2020 the database is no longer an SQL instance, but SQL Express. SQL Express is the light version of an SQL instance. Using SQL Express made the installation process less heavy.↩
Can I use Diamonds/ PowerConnect/ BIM Expert without Gateway?
- Until Diamonds 2015r06 and PowerConnect 2015r01, Gateway is not required.
Since Diamonds / PowerConnect 2017, it is not possible to run the software without Gateway begin present. From Diamonds / PowerConnect 2020, the installation of Gateway has been improved a lot.
- BIM Expert cannot be used without Gateway.
are two options to model a hollow-core-slab. Which one do I use?
Can I install multiple versions of Gateway on the same computer?
- No. A new version of Diamonds, PowerConnect or BIM Expert, usually comes with a new version of Gateway. The new version of Gateway will overwrite the old version.
The new version of Gateway is always compatible with older versions of Diamonds, PowerConnect or BIM Expert.