The strength properties of timber depend on
- the timber type (solid, glued, …)
- the load duration time (duration of load, creep)
- and the climatic conditions (temperature, moisture variations).
The effect of all three is taken into account by the factor kmod.
According to Eurocode
- Values for kmod can be found in EN 1995-1-1 Table 3.1.
- kmod is used to adjust the material properties in the design of timber structures.
- The values for kmod are implemented in the material library of Diamonds.
- The service class (also called ‘Climate class’) to determine the value of kmod, can be imposed in the Load group dialog .
- Where a load combination consists of actions belonging to different load duration classes, the value of kmod should correspond to the action with the shortest duration. For example, for a combination of permanent load and medium term load, a value of kmod corresponding with the medium-term load should be used. (EN 1995-1-1 § 3.1.3)